Sunday, May 17, 2009

Making Dinner

Today I´m gonna post a few words we can use we are talking about making dinner.

"Tablecloth" -is a large cloth that you put over a table, usually for some formal dinning situation, For exmple if you go to a nice restaurant, they wear usually tablecloths.

"To set the table" -means to put the plate, cups, napkins, spoons, forks, knives, all of those sort of things you need to eat on the table. Usually this is something you do before the person brings out the food to eat.
Example: When I was young it was always my job to set the table.

"Scrubs" -Move you hand quickly in order to clean vegetables. Usually when you put them under the water, so that the dirt comes off of them.
Example: Can you scrubs these potatoes for me, please?

"Rinse" -Clean something by running water over it.
Example: I rinsed my hair this morning.

"Peel" -Is a verb people use in cooking to talk about removing skin from a fruit or vegetable, to remove the outside of something, usually with a small knife or peeler.
Example: Use that knife to peel these carrots.

"Cut up" -To cut something into smaller pieces, usually wiht a knife.
Example: How did you cut up this chiken.

"Steam" -To cook something by putting it in over boiling water. The food isn't in the water, it's in something else but the heat from the boiling water (the vapor) comes up into the food and cooks it.
Example: Have you ever steamed a fish?

"Chop" -Move the knife up and down quicky several times using the same motion to cut something.
Example: Why don't you chop teh vegetables first?

"Beat" -To mix something very quickly.
Example: Could you beat these eggs?

"Slice" -This is another verb you can use to refer to cutting something, this is when you cut something into very thin flat pieces.
Example: I always slice bread in the morning.

"Whip up"-Tto make something to eat very quickly.
Example: I'm gonna whip up some food for dinner.

"Gourmet dishes" -Means very good tasting, something delicious, high quality food.
Example: I want to whip up some gourmet dishes.

"Toss" -Toss something is when you mix different pieces of food together.
Example: I want to toss the salad this time.

Read me later.

1 comment:

  1. hey I'd like to know when you started learning english...
    I've been learning for a while too...
    so I just want to check if we could exchange ideas and practise...
    I like the colombian culture...
    so any road...
    talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete